James C. Wright
For Information on Tennessee and Other Legal Resources: Click Here.
Mr. Wright was born in Murfreesboro, Tennessee. He attended Middle Tennessee State University (B.S., summa cum laude, 1977); the University of Tennessee (J.D., 1980). He was honored with the Order of the Coif and served on the Tennessee Law Review. Mr. Wright's father was a lawyer so he grew up working in his Dad's office.
He is admitted to the United Supreme Court Bar as well as all Tennessee State and Federal Courts. He is also admitted before the Sixth Circuit and Fourth Circuit Bar as well as the U.S. Court of Claims.
His practice is varied covering a broad spectrum of matters.
Author credits include: Tennessee Current Legal Summaries. Co-Author: Avoiding Environmental Liability in Tennessee; Hazardous Waste in Tennessee.
Mr. Wright was the Distinguished Alumni Speaker - University of Tennessee College of Law 2008 Commencement.
He has been selected as a Mid-South Super Lawyer and has been selected and listed in a listing of Knoxville's best attorneys. He is AV rated and has been selected as one of the 10 best attorney's in Tennessee in client satisfaction. He has also been selected as one of the top 1% of lawyers in America by the National Association of Distinguished Counsel. The firm as a whole has been noted as a U.S. News Best Law Firms in America and as a top law firm in Fortune Magazine.
Mr. Wright is a past Chair of the Tennessee Bar Association Tort and Insurance Practice Section.
He has been on the Executive Committee of the Tennessee Bar Association Section on Environmental Law since the founding of the Section and is a past Chair of the Section.
He is the Co-Chair of the Knoxville Bar Association Environmental Law Section.
Mr. Wright served as President of the Knoxville Legal Aid Society (three terms).
Mr. Wright served as lead State Chair for Tennessee for the Claims and Litigation Management Alliance and as an Education Committee Chair.
Mr. Wright is a member of the American Inns of Court - Hamilton Burnett Chapter.
Representative Clients, Insurers and Third-Party Administrators:
ACE Specialty Claims
Family Brands International
Florida Rock & Tank Lines, Inc.
One Beacon Insurance
Pepsi Related Entities
Wampler's Farm Sausage Co., Inc.
Areas of Practice
- General Practice
- Litigation and Appeals
- Business and Commercial
- Trucking Accidents
- Personal Injury
- Insurance Defense
- Traumatic Brain Injury
- Tennessee, 1981
- U.S. District Court Eastern District of Tennessee, 1982
- U.S. Federal Courts, 1981
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims, 2002
- U.S. Court of Appeals 4th Circuit, 1981
- U.S. Court of Appeals 6th Circuit
- U.S. Supreme Court, 2004
- University of Tennessee College of Law, Knoxville, Tennessee
- J.D. - 1980
- Honors: Order of the Coif
- Law Review: University of Tennessee Law Review
- Middle Tennessee State University, Murfreesboro, Tennessee
- B.S. summa cum laude - 1977
- Tennessee: Current Legal Summaries
- Avoiding Environmental Liability in Tennesse; Hazardous Waste in Tennessee (Co-Author)
- Anthony v. Felknor & Cunningham (Tenn. Ct. App. (Legal Malpractice))
- Campbell County v. Brownlee-Kesterson, Inc. (Tenn. Ct. App. (Product Liability)
- Cincinnati Ins. Co. v. Fred S. Post (Tenn. Sup. Ct. (Insurance Law))
- Davis v. Indian Mountain Clinic (Tenn. Ct. App. (Medical Malpractice))
- Deaton v. Sensaboy (Tenn. Ct. App. (Civil Rights and Medical Malpractice))
- Jefferson County v. Celotex (Tenn. Ct. App.(Product Liability))
- Joe Chadwell v. Knox County (Tenn. Sup. Ct. (Environmental Law))
- K.M.C. Co., Inc. v. Irving Trust Co., 757 F.2d 752 (C.A.6 (Tenn.) 1985)
- Lockett V. Blalock Construction (Tenn. Ct. App (Disc Costs/Prejudg. Intrst (Construction Law-Blasting))
- Ward v. Bush Construction (Tenn. Ct. App. (Construction; Tennessee One-Call))
- Wilson v. McCann Steel Corp. (Corporation Law)
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Tennessee Bar Association
- Knoxville Bar Association
- Knoxville Legal Aid Society
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance
- American Inns of Court - Hamilton Burnett Chapter
- Phi Delta Phi